Saturday, September 1, 2007

my latin teacher is cooler than your latin teacher

Mr. Griffith is the greatest language teacher I've had. Even though he's a very hard grader (I'm feeling it pretty badly), he makes class so much fun. I feel like Latin is a lot more coherent than last year.

Last class was brutal and the homework load was insane. Mr. Griffith admitted it was inhumane and unethical but assigned it anyway. "You think that was bad? It just gets worse." And groans rippled through the tired masses slumped over Lengua Latinae. But he had mercy. I found this note in my inbox this evening (after, of course, I had already done a ton of the homework assigned previously....):

"Discipuli omnes,

Discipuli non laeti sunt, nam exercitia eorum nimis magna et longa sunt. Discipuli plorant; Magister imperat: "Facite exercitia!" Discipuli rursus plorant. Magister oculos ad caelum vertit et cum magna voce spirat et dicit. "Fu, o improbi discipuli!" Sed magister non vult discipulos esse mortuos; ergo, discipulis responsa dat et multa exercitia removet.

Ex Capitulo X: Facite Exercitia II, IV, V, VI, VIII, X tantum.

Ex Capitulo XI: Facite Exercitia III, VII, XI tantum.

Valete."

No comments: