Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"my brain is frozen"

Quoth Laura P. as we all huddled in Latin, wondering quidnam ("why the heck") the A/C was still running at the very tail end of October. Apparently to keep us alert.

Sophomore year is all encompassing. We live, eat, breathe, sleep NSA. I drifted into the sweet escape of sleep the other night trying to solve one of Euclid's theorems, turning it this way and that, perhaps this method would work, maybe that one.... I don't remember actually falling asleep, just waking up the next morning, the proof still unsolved. We crack jokes that only students of Thucydides would understand - and we laugh. An announcement of the goal of writing 2,000 words in one night brings not questions of sanity but sober head nodding and "hmmm. good idea. I should get on that myself."

"Don't panic - and pray for us sophomores" is the constant mantra in our heads as we work our way through this swirling dust cloud of academia. I've forgotten what tired means. I have this insane desire to take on the world when I'm fully awake - maybe because it feels like I've been given super powers. We are too far gone to differentiate between the feeling of panic and the feeling of normalcy.

We are flying. We are Sophomores.

No comments: