Wednesday, October 29, 2008

dying can be beautiful

This isn't a picture of Moscow. It's a random photo I found on the internet - I suppose of some cafe in Italy or a romantic place like that. But it is a very close picture of what Moscow looks like right now. Gorgeous. Drop dead gorgeous. Typically I find fall depressing. The world dies during the fall. The leaves sit on the ground getting soggy in the rain and the trees just stand there, exposed and shivering.

But this year has been different. There's been a sort of vibrancy and life in the air. The leaves are a spectacular array of gold and red and the absence of rain has left the piles of brightly colored leaves looking life crisp, fluffy carpets. That wasn't very poetic, but you get the point. Come to think of it, I don't think it's actually possible to be both crisp and fluffy at the same time. Let me ponder on that for a bit. Whatever texture it is, it makes me happy.

A quote to brighten your day:
For this reason, it is not appropriate for a young person to be a student of politics, since the young are inexperienced in the actions of life, while these are the things about which politics speaks and about which it reasons.
- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics

My thoughts exactly. My biggest political beef at the moment is not so much the elections coming up, but which state I'll be voting in. I registered in Idaho for a recent local election, forgetting where my true loyalties lie. Washington needs me and I'm not there for her. *sigh*

1 comment:

Katie said...

That's a great photo...it looks so much like NSA/WOP and Friendship Square. It's almost freaky how similar they look!