Saturday, April 5, 2008

when i grow up

There's something about music that sends shivers running up and down my spine. I can't pinpoint what it about it that makes me want to throw my hands in the air and spin around in elated circles, makes me drunk on sound. There's a movement, a balance, a wealth of stories and ideas swelling around the room. It can turn moods around, plaster a ridiculously huge grin on my face, or can make me feel very pensive, or, hopefully, profound. (Especially when writing a history paper.)

I am partial to singing. When I sing, I forget who I am, what I am, and where I am. All I can think about is the feel and taste of the notes, shaping them, seeing them flying away, hopefully where I wanted them to go. Twisting a phrase this way or that way. Being amazed that placing the emphasis on this note instead of that one can change the impact of an entire line. Even though I am very new to this world of invisible motion, I find that it's beautiful.

When I grow up, music will be involved in every part of my life. That's my hope, at least.

1 comment:

David K said...

I know exactly what you mean. It's an amazing feeling, isn't it?

You can see it in August Rush, when he first starts playing the guitar. Joy, excitement, exhilaration, wonder...